Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Happy Fourth Day of Christmas!

I was robbed of at least twelve days of my Advent observations this year. Due to busyness and unavoidable demands I, too easily, fell prey to three vices common to man—fear, pride and coveting. In fighting back, I have determined to celebrate all twelve days of Christmas, which only begins on Christmas Day (as my dear mother-in-law is careful to remind us) and continues to Epiphany when the arrival of the wisemen is celebrated. 

I wrote the story WHEN MAMMON CAME TO CHRISTMAS and read it to the family ( captive audience in the car on the way to Christmas Eve service). I kept my poinsettia earrings in, rearranged displaced decorations, kept Christmas lights on and even wore a festive crochet vest over my brown turtleneck sweater to work on day three.

The concept of the twelve days of Christmas is probably best known to most through the familiar carol of the same name. The Carol and the story of its origin, which can be read here, is said  to have been composed by persecuted Catholics in England in the 1600s, forbidden to openly practice their faith. The symbols for each day,  encrypted teachings of the church,  seem like good fodder for a twelve day observance. So I am going for it! Today, on my Bible app  I will  listen to the sound of the FOUR CALLING BIRDS,  the four gospels – Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. 

Happy fourth day of Christmas! 

2 comments:

  1. Denise, I, too, have felt a stirring in my soul to incorporate all Twelve Days of Christmas in my practice for the Season.
    I will research in the coming year and hopefully be ready to fully participate NEXT year. I'd like so much to be able to share with my children and grandchildren the thoughts behind it as well.
    And? I had no idea the four calling birds were the four gospels of Matthew, Mark Luke and John. very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jody, There's so much in Church history that we can take advantage of in our effort to keep Christ at the center of our lives. The link to a full explanation of the 12 Days was not active this morning when I first posted but now is. It offers full details of the meaning of each day's symbol. I am sure your family will find it interesting.

    May you all have a Blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete